The Communications Specialist is responsible for assisting the IMERT Team in all communications during a deployment.
Description of Duties
- Assist members of the Illinois Medical Emergency Response Team (IMERT).
- Reports to the Field Administrator, Administrator or Team leader as assigned.
- Insure there is sufficient communications equipment to complete the assigned IMERT mission.
- Ensure each piece of communications equipment functions properly and within specifications.
- Perform periodic performance checks and Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMI) on the team’s communications equipment.
- Ensure sufficient accessory equipment is available (i.e.; microphones, antennas, spare batteries, and carrying cases) for the team.
- Be familiar with emergency services radio procedures and agency call signs.
- Provide familiarization training in radio operations to each team member.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Be physically capable of lifting and carrying heavy objects.
- Be physically capable of walking over rough terrain to remote sites.
- Possess good verbal skills when dealing with the public.
- Be able to maintain composure during high stress situations.
- Have prior training in the HF, VHF, and/or UHF radio maintenance career fields.
- Be current in CPR training.
- Meet the moderate physical fitness requirement
- Be familiar with installing and operating mobile radio UHF and VHF radio equipment.
- Be familiar with the operation of hand held UHF and VHF radio equipment.
- Be familiar with troubleshooting procedures to determine malfunctions in the radio equipment.
- Be proficient in the use of RF Wattmeters and VOM Multimeters for testing radio equipment.
- Be familiar with radio wave propagation and be able to determine the best location for radio installation and antenna erection.
- Complete Basic ICS training
- Complete WMD/mass casualty educational session
- Complete NIMS training