The Safety Specialist is responsible for insuring operations are conducting in a safe manor for all team members. The Safety Specialist is also responsible providing safety education to team members prior and during deployments.
Description of Duties
- Assist members of the Illinois Medical Emergency Response Team (IMERT)
- Act as the unit’s Safety Officer.
- Act as the liaison with the IMERT Administrator concerning safety issues.
- Act as advisor to the IMERT Team Leader concerning safety issues.
- Act as a liaison with other organizations concerning safety issues.
- Maintain the appropriate safety supplies and equipment in the unit.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Possess good verbal skills when dealing with the public.
- Be able to maintain composure during high stress situations.
- Possess a current CPR and First Aid Training Card
- Possess ICS – safety certification
- Meet the moderate physical fitness requirement
- Act as point-of-contact with IDPH personnel and IMERT concerning medical issues.
- Stay current with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
- Maintain the appropriate safety equipment (i.e.; fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, exit signs, etc) in IMERT trailers.
- Ensure the unit’s safety equipment is functional.
- Ensure the unit has a sufficient quantity of safety supplies and the supplies are up to date
- Ensure the unit’s safety programs are kept current and are briefed to all unit personnel.
- Ensure that each unit member is equipped with the appropriate PPE.
- Plan and schedule the appropriate safety training for unit members.
- Develop a Hazardous Communications program within the unit.
- Develop a Lock Out/Tag Out program within the unit.
- Perform periodic safety inspections in unit offices, garages, and meeting spaces.
- Refer any correspondence, e-mail, memos, or telephone calls dealing with IMERT safety issues to the IMERT Statewide Team Coordinator.
- Complete Basic ICS training
- Complete WMD/mass casualty educational session
- Complete NIMS training